Saturday, April 3, 2010

Looking for the charcoal

Hamburgers sounded good for supper, so Ed told me to "pick up" some charcoal briquettes for the grill. That sounds so easy if I were heading to Wal-Mart, but I've studied my grocery store and haven't come across anything like that. But, I told him I'd see what I could find.

So I shop and shop, looking in every aisle for the grill section, finding nothing. However, I knew I needed to ask, so I rehearsed my lines and finally came across an unsuspecting store clerk wearing a vest that asks in Slovak, "Can I help you?" Yes you can!! One slow Slovak word at a time I said something like this (using only the words that I know, of course)..."Please, I need to cook meat outside, grill, black..." and now I am charading the form of a charcoal briquette. Blank stare. I've run out of rehearsed lines, so I start over, saying the same thing again. She speaks something to me and I nod...I don't know why, I just figured she must have guessed my hieroglyphics. Then she leads me through the store...score!! She took me to the marinades and sauces. How disappointing. So I say, "no, not sauce" and then try a few more charades. Starting with the shape of the briquette again, I "pat" those under the grill, pretend that I am striking a match and then mimic a burst into flame! I even heard myself making a sound effect for the fire. Wishing at this point that I knew the word for fire at least, I say hot a few times, then I even do the sign language for hot!!! By this time I can sense other shoppers are watching, so I admit defeat and tell the lady that I'm sorry, but I don't know it. I went home and we enjoyed good oven-baked hamburgers! Maybe in the summer we'll have better luck!

5 comments:

Kim said...

This will probably make you mad, but the word in Slovak is: "brikety" -(very similar to briquette) Uhlie brikety is the kind we use for grilling ("grilovanie" in SK). They are only found in stores during the summer/warm months. I did notice an ad last week that had them. Zac also buys them often at the gas station!!! they are outside with the wiper fluid! They are definately different than the US charcoal, (and they have different kinds here too).
HOpe this helps a bit in your next search (those things still happen to me, even after 9 years!) I look forward to hearing about your first "grill"! Happy Easter!!

Norm Henderson said...

I'm admiring your bravery Danielle. I hate to admit it but I've been avoiding that type of conversation like the plague!

Norm Henderson said...

Oops - Wendi - I was just reading Jon & Danielle's blog as well, sorry!

Danielle said...

Well, I will comment as "Danielle" that I had the same problem here a few months ago! Finally I was able to get them to understand what I wanted by using the words "fire", "cook", and "outside." Then I found out the Spanish word and now it's now problem! I think that we need to have all the MTI PILAT people reunite for a game of charades and see who wins!

Mike Young said...

Wendy:

Loved your shopping story! If it makes you feel any better, I once found myself in the central market in Latvia making pig noises to a vendor to determine if the meat he was selling was indeed pork!

Mike Young