Sunday, May 23, 2010

The lone red flower


In the corner of our living room sit three house plants. Two of them were left here by the home owner, and since we know little to nothing about the correct care of plants, we are thrilled that they are still alive. Basically, we water them when we remember, and often are reminded of this job when the plants appear dry or brownish. Just this week we were pleasantly surprised with a beautiful red blossom on a plant that we had no idea had the capability of flowering.

This reminded me of ministry. So often we have grand ideas for how to reach the world for Jesus, and quite often these ideas and dreams are God-given and are successful. But in other cases, God uses us in ministries that we didn't plan, orchestrate, or even know about. It is in times like these that those lone red flowers remind us that our job is to be faithful "waterers" of our "plants". That wherever God has placed us, we are to live in obedience to Him, nurturing our relationship with the Lord above all else. He will bring about the fruit in His time, and often without our designs. I wasn't feeding or talking to my plants, in hopes of growing red flowers to show evidence of my success. I was just doing what I knew to do. So when we feel fruitless, because the "ministry" we had planned doesn't appear successful, we must continue to water, and whether or not that flower ever appears, bask in the love and acceptance of our Savior!!

2 comments:

Mary K Rumbold said...

Oh, how we can relate. So often what I really believed was God's will for me to reach others for Him was His will to reach ME for Him and change me. Ministry, actually life, is difficult and I often think that when I reach my Heavenly Home I will state, with stunned realization, "Now I finally get it." That will be when He will have to wipe away the tears as I confess that I failed so miserably - but He still reached people through me because of Who He is. Thanks Wendi - for your honesty, your thoughts, and your comments that at least cause me to stop and look at my life through your "musings". Mom

the millers said...

Wendi,
This entry about the red flower keeps coming to my mind. I've gone back to read it a few times. It's just so profound to me. I know just what you mean. Sometimes I wonder what my ministry is. I wonder if God has something big He wants me to do, when all along he has put little opportunities in my path. Ways to love and serve others. It's good to be able to see the big picture, but I don't want to miss those little opportunities along the way. Those red flowers are everywhere.
Thinking of you,
Paula