Friday, March 5, 2010

The Important vs. The Urgent





Growing up, I heard about the difference between the "important" and the "urgent", how so many things demand our attention, and we tend to give it to the "urgent" matters first, because, well, they need us. Now that I am grown up, and am "the mom", I have come to realize first hand what this really means. Every day I have high hopes of accomplishing the "important", but most often, early in the day, I find myself being sidetracked by the "urgent." My question is...how do we prioritize the important where it needs to be, when we are so distracted by the urgent? Let me give an example...or two.

Jaylin and Gage LOVE to be read to and I enjoy reading to them. This is important, for me to take time away from my household duties and sit down and read to them. So I do it, but suddenly the urgent creeps up and pulls me away...Shaylee has made it to the top of the staircase, the rice is burning in the pan, the doorbell rings, etc. So I deal with the matter that has drawn me away and return to our reading nook, but often they have gone on to do something else by then, and the opportunity has been lost.

As for our role here in Slovakia, these two categories are a bit harder to separate. It all seems so important, as ministry always is: language learning, youth group, camp planning meetings, small groups, hospitality, Mom's clubs, school events, Bible studies. I'm sure you all can relate to the difficulty in discerning between the two. So many opportunities in which to get involved, how does one choose which ones to devote time and attention to...before they are lost? This is our prayer, that the important will be obvious and the urgent will be able to be taken care of later, and that we would have the wisdom to discern and act accordingly.

Speaking of urgent...I have just returned to my laptop to finish this "important" post, having been pulled away by the lovely sound of a child vomiting. :-( Many of you know that sound...and why does it always happen in the night??? Nevertheless, everything is as it should be, everyone is back to sleep, and I am signing off so I can get to sleep, too, and wake up ready for tomorrow's important tasks...the list is long! Somehow, I think I will just brace myself for the urgent that is bound to come! Blessings!

3 comments:

Mary K Rumbold said...

Wendi
What an honest post. I believe that often God is the author of the important and Satan is the insigator of the urgent - trying to side track us from the important. I guess in my life even what I think is the important is not really the important. My focus on the Lord is sometime snatched away by other things. He says, "I will keep you in PERFECT peace if your mind is stayed on me." I believe our responsibility is to "put on" a Christ like mind every morning and truly desire His will. Then I think - even as we are drawn away by the urgent - our main desire will be to serve Him and He will see that as He points out how human we are in our human striving, He will prepare us and empower us for those things that are really important. After all, if you always only attended to the important things, you would BE God instead of NEED God. You are loved and prayed for and I am very impressed with your desire to serve God. Keep looking to Him. Mom Rumbold

Unknown said...

What can I say? WOW. God at work. simply put...WOW. Amazing to see the pics and read the 'reports'. We love to keep up and live thru this from a distance w/ you all! Wanted to comment not only to say 'hey!' but also to encourage you both by showing that all of us here definately are thinking of you and your wonderful family there! Our love to you guys! VERY proud of you both as a couple, as parents, as a family, and as siblings of Christ Himself! To God be the glory in ALL you do... Important AND urgent :)
Love, Jas, Jes & girls
p.s I think I need to come there for my b-day this year!! Sweet looking cake Jayce!

Danielle said...

How encouraging for me to read this...I totally relate to the struggle for finding balance. I'm also realizing too that my role as the "stay at home missionary" is to help our kids through this adjustment and seeing being there for them as the most "urgent" need that I can fulfill. But it's so difficult when daily there are other needs all around that seem just as urgent! I love reading this and hearing how you are doing...it reminds me that even if I'm having a rough day here in El Salvador I know that somewhere in the world (many miles away) another mom is doing it too! Love you!
Danielle