Saturday, January 23, 2010

Shaylee's first birthday






Yes, Shaylee turned one just 4 days after we arrived here. I had bought a boxed cake mix and frosting at Wal-Mart in the final days before we left Morton, to be sure that she would have that first birthday cake even if I couldn't get anything at a store here right away. I'd planned to unpack a 9x13 pan and make that cake no matter what! As with many things, the Lord showed me that He could outdo any of my well-planned ideas and truly knock my socks off with His plans!

As you can see from the pictures, I am sooo glad that I didn't make my pitiful cake, as we had been told that a dear lady from the church was planning to bring over a cake for Shaylee the evening of her birthday!! We didn't have time to even wipe the pizza off of Shaylee's face because when Jilka and her daughter Jilka walked into our house singing the Slovak version of Happy Birthday and carrying this trophy of a cake, we were in such awe and gratefulness that we just kept taking pictures and laughing!

We shared the evening with the Shepperson family and Mike Sullivan, other JV missionaries in Slovakia who came to help us unpack. What a fun evening we had and another reminder that God has incredible things planned for us here and for you just where you are!

12 comments:

Mary K Rumbold said...

Incredible birthday cake. Just wondered - do Slovakians do "God's blessings to you", also or is that just a Rumbold thing? Give that dear woman a hug for us - we love her care of you all. Look forward to our next visit. Have a good weekend.
Mom and Dad

Unknown said...

Praising God that you are all safe and settled. God is good all the time.
Jim and Karol

Bonawitz's said...

Love the pics. Loved seeing your house too. I kept forgetting to ask if you had a ramp when you unloaded. I guess it all worked out. Like seeing the boys friends too. Hope school went well for you.
Love you,
Erin

Steve H said...

Love the family pic on your blog. Have your prayer card and pray for you often. Looking forward to following your adventure!
Cousin Steve

Steve H said...

Love the family pic...praying for you even though Ed didn't leave me the 4 wheeler. What an adventure!

sonya said...

WOW!
what a cake!!
happy birthday Shaylee!
and Wendi....glad you are feeling God's special care for you as a mommy.
you are ALL in our prayers!
~

Ben said...

Glad you guys made it over there safely! It looks like you're already having some neat experiences.
Happy Birthday Shaylee!
-Ben Getz

Ineta Young said...

Happy Birthday to Shaylee! Looks like Slovaks know how to bake a real cake :)! We have been reading your blog and praying. Blessings.
Ineta Young (and Mike too :))
Morton

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to precious little Shaylee! What a memorable birthday!
It makes me smile to see how God works in many amazing ways, but yet such mysterious ways. Keep trusting in Him for strength each day!
Thanks for the blog! I love sharing in your life in Slavokia. Just wish that there was a time when I could read it and not be choked up. Maybe I will master that eventually!
Glad that all is settled and hopefully is starting to feel like home.
I love the picture of the children on the tire swing. Is this the one at your house in Mackinaw? If so, funny, as I was helping you clean before you left, I remember looking at that swing and just picturing the many memories and fun that the kids must have had on it. It looked so lonely hanging there all alone on that snowy winter day. It was a fresh reminder to me that you were really leaving and that the tire swing would eventually have some action again with someone new. I loved it when I saw the picture, and that everything looked so alive and fresh. The colors were so alive in the picture!, and their sweet faces made you just want to reach out and hug each one of them. Made me realize that life does go on, even if God calls you to give up a tire swing. The picture was a true blessing to me as it reassured me that all is well and that God is good, all the time!
Enjoy Him each day!!!! I know he has great plans for you and your family!

Jody

Danielle said...

Wow! That cake is amazing! Happy Birthday Shaylee!

Danielle

Unknown said...

Looks like normal Rumbold style to me! Sorry I couldn't make the party! Uncle Jim

Terry said...

So exciting to see all of the "little ways" of God's love that He is showing yall.
Praying for you!
Love,
Terry