Monday, July 26, 2010

Camp details






Ed and I both taught English classes during camps, Ed during the first week and I during the second. We both enjoyed the role of teaching. When we taught, we had more opportunities to get to know those students in our group, and we both liked that. During the week that Ed was teaching, my role was "Mom" and during the week that I was teaching, my Mom and Ed took turns taking care of the kids. We both found camps a bit more difficult this summer than back in 2000 when we were just the two of us. Kids have a way of making things a bit more complicated. I struggled a bit during week one feeling like my role as Mom was making me completely ineffective at camp with students. And then during week 2, I felt that I was shirking my duty as Mom to be a teacher. Yeah, that's right, there seems to be no way to make me happy sometimes! Ed wonders about me too! Often I even confuse myself! :-)

Anyway, we are finding what works best for our family, and how we can be effective both as leaders and as parents at the same time. Over the next few years, we might just figure something out! I think that our presence as a family at these camps was a good thing, even though it was quite difficult at times. We heard many comments from students about how good it was to see a family having fun together, and especially to see the father in such an active role in the family. Over the years, it should get easier as Shaylee especially grows up and needs us less and less.

The camp atmosphere was a great place to share Christ's love with these high school students. Many have heard for the first time and are now back home to contemplate what they have learned. Our desire is to continue spending time with all of the students throughout the year, to keep sharing Christ's love and grace with them. We are looking forward to seeing them at youth group activities as well as having groups over to our house to keep up these friendships.

2 comments:

Lori Sue said...

Thanks for updating your blog so quickly!! We love hearing about camp and how you are doing - the pictures are great too!! Love you and praying for you!! Lori :)

mjuchems said...

Thanks for taking care of my daughter for the summer. It seems to have been a great experience for her. She is really quite a young lady, partly due to your influence. Thanks!