Friday, February 19, 2010

It's all Spanish to me!




Our main job right now and for the many months to come is to learn the Slovak language. It is a beautiful language similar to Russian, I think. There are a few sounds that we can't find a parallel to in our English language, which makes it harder to speak without a blaring accent. What is interesting to me, though, is that my high school Spanish class is in the forefront of my mind during these lessons (Hola, Senorita Hillyard!). Now that isn't so hard to comprehend, since that was the last time I was in this situation. But what is so interesting, is that so many words are coming back to my memory, Spanish words, words that I haven't used in 20 years! I keep trying to remember my new Slovak words, and jumping out of my mouth first, comes those words in Espanol! Instead of saying "Ahoj!" ("hello" in Slovak) I hear myself greeting people with "Aqui" ("here" in Spanish). And after a beautiful Slovak monologue to the lady at the deli counter, asking her for my sliced cheese, I end with a whopping "Gracias!" and walk away as fast as possible!

We are being taught by a friend named Zuzka, who is a teacher in the primary schools here in town, and comes to our house 4 afternoons a week. She is very good at her teaching, and does a great job making it easy for us to understand and practice. Happy Birthday, Zuzka!

6 comments:

Mary K Rumbold said...

We sure enjoy reading your blog. Love the updates of experiences and the new pictures. Makes us feel closer. We love you all and pray for you.
Grandma and Grandpa Rumbold

Danielle said...

I don't know which one of you wrote this but I was cracking up! Lucky for me, my Spanish has come back and I'm actually trying to learn Spanish! But when we got here, I seriously was talking in German because we had just finished PILAT a few weeks ago so when we did the LAPS I kept thinking of the Spanish words. At least you aren't saying inappropriate things in your new language. We had a guy that we hired to help Jon around the house with some stuff here a few days ago. I tried to ask him if he wanted some iced tea, and instead ended up saying I loved him and iced tea. Oh well...just try to laugh a lot!

Norm Henderson said...

Amusing - we're having similar experiences, especially since French (which we speak already) and Portuguese share a lot of vocabulary (generally pronounced and spelled differently, but recognizable). Often what comes out is French, or something halfway between!

Anonymous said...

Ed and wendy,
Looking at these pictures makes it bitter sweet for me. We miss you guys so much but how awesome that your doing Gods work. You will do fine with the language and we will continue to pray for that too. It looks as if you are dressed the same way we are all bundled up. We woke to some snow this am but sounds like more to come on Sunday night. I did see a robin the other day and that is usually a sign of 3 more weeks of cold and then we can go to lighter jackets. Helping Greg and Jenny get ready to move to their new house. Jake and Amanda Stuber will be moving back and will rent Greg and Jenny's old house. Jake got a job at Pekin Insurance ( i think that is the place). Give the kids hugs and kisses from us. love and miss you all Ida

mjuchems said...

Your town looks beautiful. Is that your dog (in previous posted pictures)? I love seeing your pictures and reading the blog. Love the gracias story. Very funny.

love Chris

Anonymous said...

Hi Wendy,
Your post brought back memories of my language anguish! I too, would try to speak French (in our case) and end up speaking Spanish, which I didn't do that great in even after 4 years! Later, the German of my childhood would infiltrate.
Do they have newspaper grocery ad's that come in the mail? That was my best vocabulary builder for the shopping. And I often stood in line at the bakery, etc and ordered the same thing someone else ordered, in order to practice pronunciation! (like the same loaf of bread, or same amount of vegetable or fruit at the market).
You will do fine and I am so proud of you that you just keep doing it. Just be humble when your kids all pronounce things better than you do in a few weeks!
Take care!
Vera Koch